Since I have not posted in about 2-3 weeks I thought it was fitting to give an update on what I have been working on at my job. I have been working on two solo projects. One involves replacing all our old UPS’s from our IDF’s, I am just about finished this project and let me tell you coming it at 4:30am is quite a trip when its time to plug the switches into them Honestly though, I loved waking up that early to do it! I am so happy to have been given the opportunity. I should be finished this project by next Friday.
The second project I am working on is a major switch upgrade in the late summer. This will involve replacing our remaining 2950/3550 switches and replacing them with 3750 stacks. I have been doing a lot of research lately about this because our current uplinks are 1gbps and we want to upgrade to 10gbps when replacing the switches. Problem that I am having though is that some of our IDF’s are a good distance away from our data center so the in place 62.5 micron fiber will not work. My research has been heavily involved with learning about different fiber types and also compatible SFPs for the 3750. One interesting module that I found is called an LRM which apparently will allow you to extend the distance of your 62.5 micron fiber. This module could prove useful to my organisation if we decide to not replace our fiber runs.
As for my day to day work I am always kept busy with new calls and tickets. Its awesome to finally be able to log into switches and make as needed changes! Makes me feel so good and that all my hard work is finally paying off when I fix a problem!